Do you need help paying for your prescription drugs?
The Illinois and federal governments are working together to expand your options.
- Medicare Prescription Drug Program (Medicare Part D)
Starting January 1, 2006, everyone with Medicare will be eligible to also receive prescription drug coverage. The drug coverage will be delivered by competing private sector health plans, and beneficiaries will have an opportunity to select an approved plan once each year. The program pays for brand-name as well as generic medicine. For more information, link to www.illinoisbenefits.org.
STATE of ILLINOIS:
- Illinois Cares Rx
If you are eligible for Medicare Part D, Illinois Cares Rx will help pay the costs that Medicare does not.
If you are not eligible, Illinois Cares Rx will continue to provide prescription drug benefits.
Created by the "No Senior Left Behind" law, Illinois Cares Rx helps people cover costs that are not included under the new Medicare Prescription Drug program. Effective January 1, 2006, this program covers people who were previously enrolled in either the SeniorCare drug program or the Circuit Breaker Pharmaceutical Assistance program. In addition, those who are not eligible for Medicare will have their current SeniorCare or Circuit Breaker pharmaceutical benefits maintained in this program. Illinois Cares Rx will be administered by the Department of Healthcare and Family Services (formerly IL Department of Public Aid) and the Department on Aging. For more information, link to www.illinoiscaresrx.com or www.illinoisbenefits.org.
- Illinois Cares Rx PLUS (Formerly SeniorCare Illinois) covers all classes of medically necessary prescription drugs. For more information, link to www.illinoiscaresrx.com or www.illinoisbenefits.org.
- Illinois Cares Rx BASIC (Formerly the Pharmaceutical Assistance portion of the Circuit Breaker program) covers prescription drugs for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, arthritis, cancer, diabetes, glaucoma, heart and blood pressure problems, lung disease and smoking-related illnesses, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis and Parkinson's disease. Members are also automatically enrolled in the Illinois Rx Buying Club, and they may also qualify for a property tax grant and a discount on their license plates. For more information, link to www.cbrx.il.gov or www.illinoisbenefits.org.
Download the chart, Medicare Prescription Drug Plans Coordinating with Illinois Cares Rx, which names the Medicare Advantage plans, their counties of operation and the stand alone plans coordinating with the Illinois Cares Rx program. (Developed by the Senior Health Insurance Program.)
More resources on Illinois Cares Rx:
- Illinois Rx Buying Club
This program has no income requirement. For a $10 annual fee, senior citizens and people with disabilities can join and receive discounts on all prescription drugs approved by the FDA and available through participating pharmacies and a mail-order option. Circuit Breaker Pharmaceutical Assistance participants are automatically enrolled in this program. For more information, link to www.illinoisrxbuyingclub.com.
Developed for all Illinois residents without insurance, I-SaveRx allows consumers to purchase prescription drug refills in 3-month supplies from licensed, state-inspected and approved pharmacies in Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom. Plans are underway to also allow importations from Australia and New Zealand. For more information, link to www.I-SaveRx.net.
INFORMATION and ASSISTANCE:
This Web site is an education, screening and enrollment tool on health care and other benefits, rights and options in the state of Illinois. The Illinois Benefits Web site is made available by the Illinois Department on Aging through a partnership with the Medicare Rights Center, the National Council on Aging and RealBenefits. To use this helpful tool, link to:
- Do you need help filing an enrollment form or wish to talk to someone? Contact your local Senior Health Assistance Program (SHAP) office, where staff provides information and help filling out enrollment forms for programs, such as SeniorCare Illinois, Circuit Breaker and Pharmaceutical Assistance, Illinois Rx Buying Club and I-Save Rx. Download a contact list of SHAP offices in the Directory of Agencies Serving Seniors.
Download the chart, Prescription Drug Assistance Programs At-a-Glance, which provides brief summaries of Illinois, federal and other programs.
- Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP), a free statewide health insurance counseling service for Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers. The Department has developed a list of publications and other resources to assist people in making informed health insurance and prescription drug assistance decisions.
Some files on this site are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You may download a FREE copy of Adobe Acrobat by clicking the logo below.
PDF Accessibility Tools
The above links for Adobe Acrobat will open a new browser window.